Important Information & Trip Itinerary
Baggage Weight Limits
There is a weight limit on the Puerto Montt /Chaiten charter flight of 35 pounds for checked luggage per person.
There is no internet access at camp but messages will get through in case of emergency.
There is no electricity in the tent cabins, however, we have a few areas around camp where you can charge devices.
Drying Clothes & Other Items
Camp does not have electric dryers. There is a drying room heated by a wood burning stove that is dedicated to drying wets suits and river clothes but if the sun is out, hanging paddling gear out on a line is the best way to dry it for the next day.
The water at camp is treated at all faucets.
Chile offers some of the best fresh produce and cuisine around. The wines are amazing, as are the fresh juices. At camp, a professional chef and full kitchen staff can cater to special dietary needs.
Electric voltage in Chile is 220 volts (U.S. is 110). Most devices, like laptops and iPhones have an auto-volt (110v-240v) transformer built in that will adapt to Chilean electricity but you will still need an adapter to charge it. A multiple USB port adapter that has swappable plugs, like this. You can also find inexpensive plastic adaptors at the airport or borrow one when you get to base camp, they have few extra adaptors to use.
January 7th Day 1 – Travel Day
· Arrival in Santiago. Collect luggage, go through customs and check-in for domestic flight
to Puerto Montt
· Evening in Puerto Varas at the Cabanas Del Lago Hotel
January 8th Day 2 – Arrival to Camp
· Morning departure from Puerto Varas, scenic flight to Chaiten (30 minutes)
· Arrival in Chaiten, 2-hour drive to Bio Bio basecamp
· Introductions and welcome dinner
January 9th Day 3 – River Day
· Option to take an early morning hike, pre-breakfast yoga class, etc. (Options daily)
· River Time
· Afternoon activities (if not kayaking) are; fly-fishing, yoga, hammock time, sauna, massage, hike/run, soak in the hot tub, etc. (Options daily)
January 10th Day 4 – River Day
January 11th Day 5 – River Day
January 12th Day 6 – Horseback Riding and Hiking/no River on this day
· Horseback ride through a side valley where the Rio Azul flows to a beach for an authentic
Patagonian Asado picnic lunch
· Option to take a short round-trip hike to the Cascada waterfall after lunch
January 13th Day 7 – River Day
January 14th Day 8 – Last River Day/Summit Day
· Chilean Asado goodbye dinner celebration
January 15th Day 9 – Travel Day
· Early start to catch the puddle jumper flight from Chaiten back to Puerto Montt for connecting flights home